Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Very Dark Caramel Sauce (or Post Root Canal Dinner Part II)

If you followed my saga last week, you know I had a root canal and decided to indulge after the fact. I picked up Ciao Bella Chocolate Sorbet and Haagen-Daz Fleur de Sel Caramel Ice Cream on the way home; the perfect combo I thought to soothe my sore mouth. All ice cream is enhanced by a good homemade caramel sauce, in my opinion, and I happen to like mine extra, extra dark, bordering on bitter. It complements the sweet ice cream so well. So when I got home, I whipped up a batch. (I know this sounds improbable, but I left the endodontist at noon and I swear the novacaine anesthesia lasted until about 5:00pm. I felt great. Until then).

Very Dark Caramel Sauce

Makes about 2 cups

2 cups sugar
1/2 cup water
1 cup heavy cream, at room temperature

Combine sugar and water in deep, medium sized saucepan. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat and boil without stirring, occasionally brushing down sides of pan with wet pastry brush. Watch carefully for the moment when the sugar syrup just begins to color, about 7 to 10 minutes after it has come to a boil. Watch constantly at this point as the color will develop quickly. Watch as it changes from pale gold, to a rich amber color. Continue boiling and within a minute it will darken to a rich reddish brown, the color of a pecan. Allow it to go a few seconds further and the moment you get a whiff of burnt sugar, remove from heat. (See photo below. You want the color all the way on the bottom or at least between the last two).

Off heat, immediately pour cream over caramel. It will bubble up; just allow it to bubble and it will subside. Whisk gently until smooth. In the pitcher below I swirled the caramel and let it re-settle do that you can see the colors of the sauce.

Sauce may be used warm. Alternatively, cool to room temperature and store in refrigerator in airtight container for up to 1 month. Re-heat gently in microwave or on stovetop before serving. Serve with Your favorite ice cream, gelato or sorbet.


2 comments:

Justin said...

i like the photo of the varying colors. imagine how cool it would be to have a book with all kinds of things like that... to help take the guesswork out of types of cooking when you keep saying, "is it done yet?"

Kelly said...

nice post, i like the picture that you've post. I will follow your advice to prevent me from root canal. Is there a Part 3? What's the next update?