Sunday, December 4, 2011

Brand New DedeWilson.com Coming Soon!

OK folks this has been a LOOOOOONG time in coming. I've owned my dedewilson.com URL for a very long time and never really did anything with it. Life got in the way. You know, raising twins, hosting television shows, baking for a living, writing books and then the next thing I knew, I realized YEARS had gone by and frankly, the lack of action on my site, the design, the whole shebang was admittedly pathetic.

And then I sat on my ass some more. And waited for something magical to happen. I don't know what I was waiting for. Maybe the internet would disappear, or maybe the website of my dreams would just come to me on a silver platter. None of that happened.

What did happen was that about a year ago I started to pull my head out of the sand. Big changes were happening at Bon Appetit; big changes were happening with friends and co-horts in terms of work (or rather lack thereof). I really did have a lightbulb moment where I realized that with all my expertise and all my contacts that I still had a lot to say and the best way to get it out to you was through a website.

The lightbulb was probably starting to glimmer a few years ago when I was working on my Unforgettable Desserts manuscript. I am not exaggerating when I tell you that we cut almost half the text and about 40 recipes during the editing process. Things like this happen. The publisher has a budget and a design vision and the author's words get cut away - simple as that.

Simple for them, painful for me. I had written things I wanted to share. Tips and techniques that I thought were important to the home baker and they were not going to see the light of day...at least through that book.

My smart agent Maureen Lasher said "Dede, don't worry. You will find a use for those recipes; they will not go to waste". I did believe her, but still didn't quite see the light.

Now the light is blaring in my face and has been for months. My BIG website is almost ready. I've been driving my web team crazy because I want to launch it with a BANG. I want all the bells and whistles in place. I want you to be as excited about it as I am, and I think you will be when you see it. There are about 155 pages to the site so far, so when it does launch, you will be able to have fun poking around, reading, learning, and hopefully inspired to get in the kitchen.

I have also built a small kitchen studio and will be bringing you original video as often as possible...just today we taped How to Make Italian Meringue Buttercream, a segment on Dark Caramel Sauce and a short on properly whipped cream.

Hang in there folks...I want to get it up and running more than anybody, but I wanted to give you a "tease". Here is a sneak-peak at part of the Home page. The image the partial wedding cake is but one photo in a slide-show of pics that will be on that part of the site.



No comments: