Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The BAKING BUDDY Returns

Here is my second installment of The Baking Buddy. Keep sending your questions! If you are wondering about something, most likely other bakers are too.

Question: I notice in your recipes you often call for nonstick spray. Is there a brand you prefer? Can I use the specialized ones that contain a grease and flour, all-in-one?

Answer: When I call for nonstick spray I am referring to the products like Pam – in the original formulas. Sometimes nowadays they will say something like “made with Canola oil” and that is fine. Just make sure they are the “plain” ones. I do not like the butter flavored ones or the olive oil ones, and of course, we do not want o use ones that are flavored with garlic! As far as the other sprays you referenced, I am assuming you are talking about products like Baker’s Joy. While many bakers seem to like these products, I do not. I think they leave an odd, gummy, floury residue on my cakes that negatively affect their fine texture. If I am very concerned with sticking, you will see that in my recipes I will call for coating the pan with nonstick spray and adding a layer of parchment on the bottom of the pan. If I call for this, it is because it is necessary for your cake to unmold flawlessly. Or, occasionally I do coat a pan with flour. Just make sure to knock out any excess. There is one breakfast cake in my new book where I coat the pan in coarse sugar. It makes a sweet, crunchy crust.

No comments: